Bridport Football Club was formed on October 7th 1885 by a group of members of the town's Cricket and lawn tennis Club.
The club played just two matches in its first season, with their maiden game being at Dorchester on February 4th 1886, losing 5-1. The second was at home to Evershot, which Bridport won 3-1
The first ten years were taken up playing friendly matches throughout Dorset. The in 1896 the club joined the newly formed Dorset League, wher they stayed for just two seasons. During the following 20 years the club entered the South Dorset League and then the West Dorset League,Where they won the championship in the 1907/08 season, losing only one of their 14 matches and scoring 62 goals with only 6 against.
They again won the title the following season, by five points from local rivals Beaminster, After these successes it was decided to rejoin the South Dorset League where they came joint top in there first season. Losing the championship decider agiainst Somerset Light Infantry 3-1.
The club gained revenge the following year by winning the championship outright. In 1912 they joined the Perry Street League coming top in the first season.
At the end of the First World War a reserve side was formed to continue playing in the Perry Street League, while the First teat re-enterd the South Dorset League. Since that time both teams have made steady progress through the County League to the leagues where they both now play.
In the early years the club had many pitches, including ones in Bothenhampton,Pymore Road,Bradpole Road and South Mills, before moving to the Cricket Ground where they stayed for almost forty years.
In 1931 the Crown Ground became their new home